Strengthening National Planning and Monitoring Capacity (SNPMC)
||2013 to 2019
||Policy project housed at the National Planning Commission, Singh Durbar, Kathmandu
||National Planning Commission (NPC), Central Bureau of Statistics (CBS), Ministry of Finance (MoF)
Strengthening National Planning and Monitoring Capacity (SNPMC) Project is a joint undertaking of the Government of Nepal (GoN), the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), and DFID.
SNPMC supports the National Planning Commission and under its aegis the Central Bureau of Statistics to strengthen their capacity to promote pro-poor and evidence-based planning and monitoring and evaluation based on a) improved generation of data and b) analysis of evidence of development issues and trends in Nepal.
The project’s specific objectives are:
- Support quality analysis of evidence and existing policies to inform policy making and planning and inter-agency coordination for better results.
- Improve national monitoring and evaluation system by generating high quality data on development issues as well as supporting for capacity development on monitoring and evaluation
The major activities of the project can be divided into statistical capacity; monitoring and evaluation; planning and knowledge products.
- Supports formulation of National Strategy for Development of Statistics (NSDS)
- Develops a Master Sampling Framework
- Supports the Central Bureau of Statistics (CBS) for producing Annual Household Survey Report
- Institutional Capacity building of CBS
Monitoring and Evaluation
- Strengthens national monitoring and evaluation capacity
- Institutionalizes Project Performance Information System (PPIS)
- Conducts participatory and third party monitoring
- Conducts evaluation of policy, programs and projects
Production of Knowledge Products
- Supports the preparation of LDC graduation Strategy
- Prepares National Human Development Reports
- Prepares MDG Progress Reports and post 2015 agenda
- Supports Policy Analysis
What have we accomplished so far?
- With continued UNDP support in 2015, the Government of Nepal has begun implementing evaluations of national programmes:
- Using data from the Second Annual Household Survey supported by UNDP, the Government is now able to clearly undertake an evidence-based policy design and decision-making.
- UNDP conducted trainings on enhancing monitoring and evaluation skills of 60 senior officials from 20 ministries. Following which the Government undertook three independent evaluations of national programmes. The findings from these evaluations will influence the continued performance of the programmes.
- With support from UNDP, Nepal has prepared its country report on SDGs and has begun adapting the Goals to the national context and will integrate the SDGs in development planning and budget discussions.