For the first time in a relationship spanning 300,000 years, instead of the planet shaping humans, humans are shaping the planet. This is the Anthropocene: the age of humans.
The new 2020 Human Development Report (HDR) – set to launch on 15 December – looks at how humanity can navigate this new age, unpacking the relationships between people and the planet and showing how our impacts on the Earth interact with inequalities across societies.
COVID-19 and its unprecedented effects on human development are a cautionary tale of the type of challenges we are likely to face in the Anthropocene, unless humans transform the way we interact with the planet. But the future is not set in stone– yet. We have a once-in-a-generation an opportunity to choose to change, and the 2020 HDR suggests a way forward.
Now in its 30th Anniversary, the report also introduces an experimental global index that casts human development progress in a new light; one that places an emphasis on both people and the planet.
In Nepal, we are launching the report in seven provinces and Kathmandu on 16 December 2020.
In province 1, the HDR report 2020 will be released by Hon'ble Mr. Sherdhan Rai, Chief Minister of Province 1, followed by a panel discussion.
- Ram Chandra Adhikari, Assist. Professor, Purbanchal University
- Manju Bhandari, Deputy Mayor, Dharan Sub Metropolitan City
- Meghnath Kafle, Secretary, Ministry of Industry, Tourism, Forests and Environment
- Upendra Khanal, Environment Activists
- Kashmira USAID, Environment Specialist at the Social, Environmental and Economic Development (SEED) Office, USAID/Nepal
Time: Time: 11am-1pm
Zoom link: https://undp.zoom.us/j/89178211998
In province 2, the HDR report 2020 will be released by Hon'ble Mr. Mohammad Lal babu Raut, Chief Minister of Province 2, followed by a panel discussion.
- Prof. Dr. Bharat Jha, Vice Chancellor, Rajarshi Janak University, Janakpurdham
- Ms. Salma Khatun, Deputy Mayor, Pokhariya Municipality, Parsa
- Dr. Ram Chandra Kandel, Secretory, Ministry of Industry, Tourism, Forests and Environment
- Prof. Dr. Pramod Kumar Jha, Tribhuvan University
- Mr. Nagdev Yadav, Environment Activist
- Mr.Pushkar Mathema, Senior Project Officer, ADB
Zoom link: https://undp.zoom.us/j/84418179384
In Bagmati province, the HDR report 2020 will be released by Hon’ble Foreign Minister, Pradeep Kumar Gyawali, followed by a panel discussion.
- Yannick Glemarec, Executive Director, Global Climate Fund
- Her Excellency Nona Deprez, EU Ambassador, Delegation of the European Union to Nepal
- Dr. Pema Gyamtsho, Director General, International Centre for Integrated Mountain Development (ICIMOD)
- Hon'ble K.P Oli, Member National Planning Commission
Zoom link: https://undp.zoom.us/j/84130847356
In Bagmati province, the HDR report 2020 will be released by Hon’ble Mr. Dormani Poudel, Chief Minister of Bagmati Province, followed by a panel discussion.
- Prof. Dr. Ram Chandra Dhakal – member, province Planning Commission
- Radhika Aryal – Secretary, Office of Chief Minister, Hetauda
- Sindhu Dhungana – Secretary, Ministry of Industry, Tourism, forest and Environment, Bagmati government
- Bhim Neupane – Mayor, Panuati Municipality
- Dr. Simon Lucas Growth and Resilience Team Leader, UK Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office
Zoom link: https://undp.zoom.us/j/86155799737
In Gandaki province, the HDR report 2020 will be released by Hon’ble Mr. Prithivi Subba Gurung, Chief Minister of Gandaki Province, followed by a panel discussion.
- Dr. Maheshwar Dhakal., Secretary, Ministry of Tourism, Environment and Forest of Gandaki Province
- Mr. Dilip Pratap Khand, Mayor of Waling Municipality
- Ms. Lucky Chhetri, Founder of Empowering Women of Nepal
- Dr. Bhima Dhungana, Member of Policy and Planning Commission of Gandaki Province
Zoom link: https://undp.zoom.us/j/85287857472
- Dr. Rajendra K.C., Secretary, Ministry of Tourism, Environment and Forest of Lumbini Province
- Venerable Metteyya Sakyaputta(Abhadesh Kumar Tripathi), Vice Chairperson of Lumbini Development Trust
- Goma Acharya, Deputy Mayor of Butwal Sub-Metropolitan City or, Lumbini Province
- Aanik Rana Magar- a third gender women- is a Journalist, Human Rights Activists and president of Blue Diamond Society of Rupandehi chapter
- Ukesh Raj Bhuju, DEAN, School of development studies and applied sciences, Lumbini Budhhist University
- Christian Manhart, Representative to Nepal
Zoom link: https://undp.zoom.us/j/87464019579
In Karnali province, the HDR report 2020 will be released by Hon’ble Mr. Mahendra Bahadur Shahi, Chief Minister of Karnali Province, followed by a panel discussion.
- Dr. Sarba Raj Khadka, Vice-Chair of Karnali Provincial Planning Commission
- Dr. Dipendra Rokaya, Member of Karnali Provincial Planning Commission
- Dr. Pushpa Raj Acharya, Assistant Professor, Mid-Western University
- Ms. Pabitra Shahi, Programme Director of Aawaaj (Chief Security Officer)
- Mr. Dev Kumar Subedi, Mayor of Birendranagar Municipality
Webinar link: https://undp.zoom.us/j/86760306496
In Sudhurpaschim province, the HDR report 2020 will be released by Hon’ble Mr. Trilochan Bhatta, Chief Minister of Sudurpaschim Province, followed by a panel discussion.
- Raghu Bista, Secretary of Ministry of Social Development
- Surendra Bista, Mayor of Bhimdatta Municipality
- Rakesh Karna, Deputy Chief of Party of USID (Universal, Sustainable, Inclusive Design for social change)/ SHAJHEDARI
- Sabitra Ghimire, President of Dalit Women Rights Forum
- Prof.Dr. Ammaraj Joshi, Sudurpaschim University, Vice Chancellor
- Ankur Thapa, Country Officer for Development Partner Coordination at the World Bank
Zoom link: https://undp.zoom.us/j/82260292191