GREEN CLIMATE FUND READINESS PROGRAMMEJun 22, 2017
The Green Climate Fund Readiness Programme is implemented by the Ministry of Finance (MoF), with technical support from the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) and the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP). This project is expected to support the Government of Nepal (GoN), specifically the Ministry of Finance (MoF), and related stakeholders in strengthening the national capacities to effectively and efficiently access, manage, deploy and monitor climate finance from the Green Climate Fund (GCF). The GCF is a multilateral financing entity guided by the principles and provisions of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change. The GCF Readiness Programme will result in benefits to the GoN to engage with fund through direct access, strengthen national systems to access and absorb alternative sources of climate finance, and take forward priorities for low-emission and climate-resilient development integrating national plans and polices such as National Adaptation Programme of Action (NAPA), climate change policy, National Adaptation Plans (NAPs), National Determined Contributions (NDC) and sectoral plans.
The three major components or outcomes are:
1. Enhance the core institutional capacity of the National Designated Authority (NDA) and National Implementing Entity (NIE) to access, absorb, and manage climate finance
2. Prepare an investment framework for adaptation and mitigation options to reduce climate change-induced disaster risks
3. Build national capacities to develop a project pipeline (bankable projects and programmes)
WHAT WE HAVE ACCOMPLISHED SO FAR
1. Institutional capacity-building of NDA and NIE
· Outlined roles and responsibilities of the MoF to perform as a National Designated Authority of the GCF
· Facilitated the establishment of a Technical Committee under the NDA to provide technical assistance and support in decision-making
· Proposed a governance mechanism of the NDA
· Facilitated nomination of two national institutions for direct access accreditation under the GCF: i) Alternative Energy Promotion Center (AEPC) and ii) National Trust for Nature Conservation (NTNC).
2. Preparation of investment framework
· Developed methodology to select/prioritize vulnerable mountain ecosystems, along with designing of methodology for vulnerability assessment of the Tamakoshi River basin,
· Coordinated with the Ministry of Agricultural Development in preparing an investment framework for vulnerable agro-ecosystems in Bardiya, Dailekh and Mugu
3. National capacities to develop a project pipeline
· Identification of two ‘project ideas’ to address be developed as a pipeline of projects for GCF.
July 2016 to April 2018
75 districts of Nepal
Climate Change; Climate Finance
International Economic Cooperation Coordination Division (IEECD), Ministry of Finance, Government of Nepal.
UNDP, UN Environment
German Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation, Building and Nuclear Safety (BMUB).
UNDP focal point:
Climate Change Policy Analyst,
UNDP, UN House, POB 107
Project focal point:
Mr. Pragyajan Yalamber Rai
National Programme Coordinator
MoF, Singha Durbur, Kathmandu, Nepal