UNDP, Royal Norwegian Embassy sign additional US$ 1.5 million (NRs. 114 million) to bring peace dividend to marginalized communities

Nov 5, 2008

5 November, Kathmandu - The Royal Norwegian Embassy and the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) signed an additional amount of US$ 1.5 million (NOK 10 million) for the continuation of the Quick Impact for Peace Support Initiative (QIPSI) in 11 eastern Terai and 9 mid and far western districts of Nepal, under the UNDP supported Programme implemented by the Ministry of Local Development (MLD). The agreement was signed by His Excellency, Thor Gislesen, Ambassador of the Kingdom of Norway to Nepal and UNDP Country Director for Nepal, Ms. Anne-Isabelle Degryse-Blateau.

This contribution will support the Ministry of Local Development (MLD) to provide immediate peace dividend to the most disadvantaged communities in an additional 200 VDCs in these 20 districts. With this additional funding of US$ 1.5m, the Programme is expected to support the implementation of basic community livelihood and micro-infrastructure projects such as drinking water and micro-irrigation projects, construction of culverts and bridges, repair and maintenance of rural roads, schools, health posts, community halls and also river protection.

Note to the editor: As part of direct support to peace building efforts, UNDP launched a special project called Quick Impact and Peace Support Initiatives (QIPSI) initially in the 10 districts of Eastern, Central and Western Terai (Saptari, Sunsari Siraha, Dhanusha, Mahottarai, Sarlahi, Rautahat, Bara, Parsa, and Kapilbastu) in June 2008, which were affected by the then on-going conflict. The project was implemented by the three existing UNDP supported programmes, such as the Decentralized Local Governance Support Programme (DLGSP), Micro-enterprise Development Programme (MEDEP), and the Community Based Disaster Management Programme (CBDMP).

UNDP allocated US$ 2 million (Rs. 12, 60, 00,000) from its core resources for this initiative in order to target the poor and the excluded communities in the selected districts to support livelihood enhancement activities contributing to peace and maintaining social harmony.

Those activities were targeted which would bring immediate benefits to the people. Out of the total budget made available for QIPSI implementation, 90% budget was allocated for community development work and 10% to cover programme support costs. For community infrastructure work, at least 75% was spent for the priority projects identified by the poor and the excluded groups, while the remaining 25% was used for projects benefiting a wider range of community members, but still including the poorest of the poor.

Contact information

For more information please contact Sangita Khadka, Development Communications Officer, UNDP Nepal
00-977-1-5523200 or sangita.khadka@undp.org

UNDP Around the world

You are at UNDP Nepal 
Go to UNDP Global