UNDP launches US$ 2 million Quick Impact Programme in Terai
As part of direct support to peace building efforts, UNDP has launched a special project called Quick Impact and Peace Support Initiatives (QIPSI) in the 10 districts of Eastern, Central and Western Terai (Saptari, Sunsari Siraha, Dhanusha, Mahottarai, Sarlahi, Rautahat, Bara, Parsa, and Kapilbastu) which are affected by the on-going conflict. For this purpose, UNDP has also hired seven field monitors to work in the ten districts.
UNDP has allocated US$ 2 million (Rs. 12, 60, 00,000) from its core resources for this initiative which will target the poor and the excluded communities in the selected districts to support livelihood enhancement activities contributing to peace and maintaining social harmony.
The project will be implemented by the three existing UNDP supported programmes, such as the Decentralized Local Governance Support Programme (DLGSP), Micro-enterprise Development Programme (MEDEP), and the Community Based Disaster Management Programme (CBDMP). Selection of the three programmes to implement QIPSI is based on each of their comparative advantages of implementing development programmes at the community level for a long time, and expertise gained in the three areas of interventions chosen under QIPSI: namely, community infrastructure, micro-enterprise development and flood mitigation.
Activities that will bring immediate benefits will be targeted by the projects. Out of the total budget made available for QIPSI implementation, 90% budget will be allocated for community development work and 10% to cover programme support costs. For community infrastructure work, at least 75% will be spent for the priority projects identified by the poor and the excluded groups, while the remaining 25% could be used for projects benefiting a wider range of community members, but still including the poorest of the poor.