UNDP Development Reporting Fellowship 2014-2015
UNDP Nepal Development Reporting Fellowship aims at promoting in-depth coverage on topics of pressing concern, particularly that relate to Nepal’s development discourse. The fellowship is for journalists who write on or are interested in writing on emerging development issues in Nepal’s context.
Individual journalists will be awarded with small projects that support them in making a systematic inquiry and investigation into selected topics, organizing the findings and presenting them through appropriate media outlets. Fellows will be encouraged to both explore into the development challenges facing Nepal and bring to fore the best practices that promise new and innovative solutions to the enduring problems.
The fellowship will be awarded to mid-career journalists working in Nepali, English and other media outlets, including newspapers (daily, weekly, fortnightly or monthly), FM radio stations (community-based or private), television channels and other online news portals. Journalists working for national or local media outlets can apply for the fellowship. Before applying for the fellowship, please check whether you are an eligible candidate.
The Fellowship Research Agenda
Interested candidates are invited to submit a brief proposal on any one of the following issues/themes:
- Poverty alleviation, employment generation
- Public health and education
- Environment, energy, climate change, disaster preparedness
- Inclusive development, gender equality, human rights and rule of law
- Good governance, anticorruption, accountability
- Innovation, new technology, traditional and indigenous knowledge
- Other development issues
- The UNDP Developing Reporting Fellowship is open to Nepali citizens with at least three years of professional journalistic experience in newspapers, television channels, FM radio stations, online news portals and/or other news organizations.
- Freelance journalists/writers can also apply for this fellowship if they can demonstrate documentary evidence of journalistic experience of over three years.
- Applicant must demonstrate his/her reporting and analytical skills through writing samples.
Terms and Conditions
- Applicant must have a unique idea or topic for news/feature/story to investigate, research on and publish with the fellowship within a fixed timeframe. This should be explained in a brief proposal.
- The proposed topic/idea for feature story/article should be apolitical and nonpartisan.
- Each awardee must publish/broadcast the article/report in relevant media outlets.
- A second fellowship can be awarded to the same fellow on the basis of his/her performance during the first fellowship.
- Candidates from traditionally marginalized and minority groups will be given priority. Women journalists are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Awardees are expected to consult literature and use them in their research, reporting and writing.
- The fellowship amount will be Rs. 35,000 and an additional Rs. 20,000 will be provided for travel outside Kathmandu.
How to Apply?
Interested candidates should apply for UNDP Development Reporting Fellowship by August 29, 2014 with the following documents:
- A duly filled up and signed application form [Download Application Form]
- An updated CV not longer than three pages.
- Three samples of published/broadcasted work (newspaper articles, radio/TV programs, online articles). No hard copies of the articles/programs are required if you can provide the online link to these items.
Send your application to Fellowship.firstname.lastname@example.org or via regular mail to GPO Box 107, Kathmandu, Nepal within August 29, 2014. Only selected candidates will be informed for further process.