August 2008 to December 2012
January 2013-January 2016
The Election Commission of Nepal
Donor and overseeing agency
European Union, DFID, Danida, Norway
UNDP focal point:
Ms. Pragya Bashyal
Governance Unit, UNDP
UN House, POB 107 Pulchowk, Lalitpur, Nepal
Tel: 977-1- 5523200 ext. 1053
Project focal point:
Mr. Andres Del Castillo Sanchez
Chief Technical Advisor/ Project Manager
Election Commission of Nepal, UNDP, Electoral Support Project
Election Commission, Kantipath, Kathmandu, Nepal
Tel: (+977-1) 4231572/4221513
The Electoral Support Project (ESP) Phase II : Institutional Strengthening and Professional Development Support for the Election Commission of Nepal
In April 2008 Nepal held its first CA election since the signing of the Comprehensive Peace Agreement in 2006 to elect a constituent assembly mandated to draft a new constitution. 2008 election were organized by the Election Commission of Nepal with significant assistance and technical support from the Electoral Assistance Office of the United Nations Mission in Nepal. Following these elections, UNDP initiated the three-year Electoral Support Project (ESP) Phase I that aimed at institutional strengthening and professional development of the Election Commission of Nepal. As the need increased to expand the role of ESP to providing technical advice and operational support for the upcoming cycle of elections, the project was revised and extended till 2016 to meet the current needs of the Election Commission of Nepal. This revision constitutes Phase II of the Electoral Support Project, signed in 29 November 2012...Read More
What have we accomplished so far
- In 2014, UNDP with funding from Denmark, Norway, EU and UK supported the ECN in updating the voter list with photographs and biometric profiling, enhancing voter security and eliminating opportunities for proxy and multiple voting. UNDP also supported the ECN in institutionalizing continuous voter registration with advance data security measures through the development of customized software.
- 304,000+ citizens added to voter roll in 2014
- Training was provided at both the national level and in five districts for over 1,600 ECN staff in order to enhance understanding of gender equality and social inclusion, electoral procedures, electoral security and electoral systems, and to support regional and district voter registration and voter education.
- Similarly, the nationwide Assessment of Voter Education during the 2013 Constituent Assembly elections was completed. Recognizing a significant knowledge gap, 12 radio and television programmes aimed at enhancing the knowledge of voters on their electoral rights and responsibilities were commissioned.
- Other knowledge products, designed and developed with ECN, including the Electoral Atlas 2013, Gender Book 'Her Voice-Her Choice' and Media Monitoring Report of CA Elections 2013, were launched for national and international stakeholders. These documents analyze and document lessons from the 2013 CA elections.
- UNDP supported the ECN in the design, development and drafting of its second Strategic Plan (2015-2019) and Action Plan (2015-2016) through consultations and workshops with national and international stakeholders. Gender and social inclusion have been prioritized in all thematic areas. The effective implementation of ECN's new Strategic Plan will strengthen the technical capacity of the ECN to conduct credible, inclusive and well-organized elections.
- The ECN, with UNDP’s technical assistance, initiated the development of a ‘Model Election Code of Conduct’ for future elections. The Code will be designed in consultation with diverse stakeholders and based on international best practices and lessons learnt from past elections.
Voters say peace and development their primary concerns. 19, November 2013: On Tuesday voters in Nepal cast their ballot in another round of Constituent Assemblymore
Norway provides USD 3.6 million for elections operation and capacity building of the Election Commission
Kathmandu — The Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) have partnered together for the grant assistance of USD 3,611,350 tomore
UN Assistant Secretary General and UNDP Regional Director completes his two-day Nepal visit; urges an end to political instability
Mr. Ajay Chhibber, UN Assistant Secretary General, UNDP Assistant Administrator and Regional Director for the Asia-Pacific concluded his two-day visit to Nepal urging the government leadershipmore
The Department for International Development (DFID) and UNDP have signed a cost sharing agreement of US$ 0.59 million for ’Institutional Strengthening and Professional Development Support formore