August 2008 to December 2012
January 2013-January 2016
The Election Commission of Nepal
Donor and overseeing agency
European Union, DFID, Danida, Norway
UNDP focal point:
Ms. Pragya Bashyal
Governance Unit, UNDP
UN House, POB 107 Pulchowk, Lalitpur, Nepal
Tel: 977-1- 5523200 ext. 1053
Project focal point:
Mr. Andres Del Castillo Sanchez
Chief Technical Advisor/ Project Manager
Election Commission of Nepal, UNDP, Electoral Support Project
Election Commission, Kantipath, Kathmandu, Nepal
Tel: (+977-1) 4231572/4221513
Achievements of 2013
- With technical assistance of the ESP, the ECN successful registered 12.14 million voters with photographs and biometric profiling and introduced this new voter’ rolls in 2013 elections. It enhanced the credibility of the electoral process and elections
- More than 1,197 individuals are trained on certified Building Resources in Democracy, Governance and Elections courses conducted in collaboration with IIDEA and IFES. A total of 1,131 Master\Regional trainers were trained by ECN with ESP’s support in seven thematic areas of elections, who ultimately trained more than 250,000 officials deployed during 2013 CA elections.
- Multi-functional Electoral Education and Information Center (EEIC) established within the premises of the ECN and the Center is providing voter education and public outreach to all sectors of the society. Approximately 11,495 visitors have visited the Center as of 2013
- Technical assistance provided to locate and map more than 10.000 polling locations across the country using Global Positioning System and Geographic Information System tools and technology. It supported the Government in developing an integrated election security plan for 2013 CA elections
- Establishment of Joint Election Operation Center, Media Center and Observer Resource Center at the ECN premises in Kathmandu that contributed in coordinating with media and security during election.
- Public outreach and voter education programme and establishment of the Call Center by the ECN with assistance of the ESP contributed to 79.9% of voters’ turnout and reduction in invalid votes.
- For the CA election 2013, technical support provided through international and national advisors at central and regional level.
- ECN endorsed its first Gender and Social Inclusion Policy on 23 September 2013
- For civic and voter education, 30 TV and Radio PSAs and TV and Radio programs were broadcasted in 12 TV channels and 350 radio stations, 720 street dramas, and a video documentary were produced and broadcasted.
- For the 2013 CA election, the project supported ECN’s operational and logistical preparations through the procurement of vehicles, paper and machinery for the printing of ballots, bags for polling and returning officers, and tonners for the printing of the voters list.