Our Funding and Delivery

Where does our money come from and what do we spend it on?

In 2016, UNDP implemented a wide range of projects in Nepal with total expenditure of $37.75 million, which came from its core fund, and from partners, bilateral and multilateral agencies, and thematic and vertical trust funds. The expenditure was over 90 percent of the total approved budget for 2016.

While the UNDP core fund contributed to 18.49 percent of the total expenditures, the remaining 81.51 percent was mobilized from bilateral and multilateral agencies, and others.

Almost one third of programme expenditure (41%) in 2016 went towards reducing poverty and creating jobs, followed by governance and rule of law (31%), and energy, environment, climate change, recovery and disaster risk reduction (28%).

For every dollar provided by UNDP’s own funding, it raised US$5 from new funding partners, including International Medical Corps, Bridgehead and others.

In 2016, the Government of Nepal contributed more than US$ 1 million of domestic resources to its partnership with UNDP.

Geographically, 17 percent of the expenditures were targeted to the far and mid west regions, which have low Human Development Index. Over 60 percent of UNDP’s total expenditure in 2016 directly or significantly contributed to promote gender equality and social inclusion.

With the first full year of SDG implementation, UNDP spent the most funding on SDG 16 (24%), SDG 13 (18%) and SDG 5 (20%). 

 

Expenditure in 2016:

Donors

In US$

Percent

Australia

 8,547,943

22.64%

UNDP Core Fund

 6,981,469

18.49%

GEF

 4,788,763

12.69%

European Union

 3,564,945

9.44%

Denmark

 2,627,360

6.96%

United Kingdom

 2,554,129

6.77%

Republic of Korea

 1,731,731

4.59%

Norway

 1,662,109

4.40%

Finland

 1,012,822

2.68%

Nepal

 1,011,633

2.68%

MPTF

 949,871

2.52%

Mauritius

 680,887

1.80%

International Medical Corps

 242,804

0.64%

Japan

 400,357

1.06%

BridgeHead Foundation

 173,910

0.46%

UNEP

 197,819

0.52%

INTEL Foundation

 154,263

0.41%

Sweden

 134,090

0.36%

UNWomen

 102,799

0.27%

Switzerland

35,395

0.09%

Other Donors

 194,086

0.53%

Total

 37,749,185

100.00%

UNDP Around the world

You are at UNDP Nepal 
Go to UNDP Global